|The information on the page below is OBSOLETE|
|This information applied to an older way of operating|
The wiki's policies and rules are now linked to the main page at Welcome_to_Citizendium.
The Editorial Council was merged with the Management Council into a single governing body in 2013. All EC rules and decisions were upheld except where they contradicted the merger.
What's going on?
In October, 2010, the first Editorial Council (EC) authorized by the Charter was elected. The EC is responsible for Citizendium's content and style policies.
Because the Editorial Council is committed to the fair and transparent governance of Citizendium, we have chosen a publicly-accessible wiki as our decision-making platform. All our decisions and deliberations are available for reading there. Your comments on any of these are welcome in the Editorial Council community input board of the Citizendium Forums. Non-Citizen comments are welcome in the Non-Citizen comments board.
See the Emeritus category for a list of former Editorial Council members.
The Editorial Council can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. The name of the sender will be kept confidential.
By R-2011-032, Citizens may suggest the removal of articles of insufficient quality. Suggestions are made by placing
at the bottom of the talk page and saving. This generates a Removal section with a subsection for comments.
Removal cases and the decisions made are recorded on the Removals page on the EC wiki.
Decisions made by the Council, in chronological order
A category-generated list of all passed motions.
See the Agenda page for a chronological protocol of motions and their status.
- Editorial Council Resolution 0001: adopt rules
- Editorial Council Resolution 0002: confirm Secretary
- Editorial Council Resolution 0003: launch Eduzendium
- Editorial Council Resolution 0004: launch subpages
- Editorial Council Resolution 0005: English language etiquette
- Editorial Council Resolution 0006a - What's Your Article?
- Editorial Council Resolution 0007: Council membership rules
- Editorial Council Resolution 0009: Proposal on Recipes
- Editorial Council Resolution 0010: Romanization
- Editorial Council Resolution 0011: Stylesheets
- Editorial Council Resolution 0012 Inactive Editors
- Editorial Council Resolution 0013: Medical Disclaimers
- Editorial Council Resolution 0014: Subgroups
- EC-R-2010-002 at  Concerning communications with the Council, added November 23, 2010.
- EC-D-2010-001 at  Internal communications of the EC, added November 26, 2010
- EC-D-2010-003 at  Election of Ro Thorpe as Secretary, added November 26, 2010
- EC-D-2010-002 at  Election of Peter Schmitt as wiki sysop, added November 26, 2010
- EC-D-2010-004 at  Election of Hayford Peirce as Secretary, added November 26, 2010
- EC-D-2010-005 at  Management of Proposals, files and filenames on the EC wiki, added November 26, 2010
- EC-Rec-2010-001 at  On the naming of the Nuremberg Trials, added November 26, 2010
- EC-R-2010-001 at  Modes of governance by the Editorial Council, added November 26, 2010
- PR-2010-007 at  Election of Johan A. Förberg as back-up sysop, added December 2, 2010
- PR-2010-008 at  Redefining CZ maintainability policy as Inclusion, added December 6, 2010
- PR-2010-011 at  Review of qualifications of Editors, added December 11, 2010
- PR-2010-012 at  Titles of Language articles, added December 11, 2010
- PR-2010-013 at  Importation of articles from other sources, added December 12, 2010 [Rescinded by community vote, June 2012]
- PR-2010-014 at  Romanization of Chinese text, added December 12, 2010
- DR-2010-004 at  Approval of the Homeopathy article, added December 13, 2010
- PR-2010-016 at  Approval of accelerated decision making, added December 13, 2010
- DR-2010-005 at  Approval of the WikiLeaks motion, added December 13, 2010
- PR-2010-017 at  Approval of the move of Healing Arts workgroup, added December 14, 2010
- PR-2010-018 at  Approval of the format of Definitions, added December 15, 2010
- DR-2010-006 at  Approval of the Homeopathy draft blanking, added December 16, 2010
- PR-2010-021 at  Approval of redefining the categories of articles, added January 13, 2011
- PR-2010-024 at  Approval of requiring the public credentials of Editors, added January 15, 2011
- DR-2010-007 at  Approval of reverting the Adolf Hitler article, added January 15, 2011
- PR-2010-023 at  Approval of a new way of handling EC motions, added January 17, 2011
- PR-2011-002 at  Approval of removing inactive Editorial Council delegates, added January 21, 2011
- REC-2011-001 at  Thanking the Technical Staff, added January 23, 2011
- PR-2011-003 at  Decision not to consider Fair Use images, added January 25, 2011
- DR-2011-001 at  Decision to review the credentials of an Editor, added January 25, 2011
- EC:2011-004 at  Approval of reappointing EPA members, added January 30, 2011
- EC:2011-007 at  Approval of the clarification of Editorships, added February 8, 2011
- EC:2011-009 at  Approval of establishing Citizendium archives, added February 12, 2011
- EC:2011-010 at  Approval of Editor's role and qualifications, added February 12, 2011
- EC:2011-011 at  Approval of Editor information, added February 12, 2011
- EC:2011-013 at  Approval of Featured article rules, added February 28, 2011
- EC:2011-014 at  Approval of Metadescription request, added March 6, 2011
- EC:2011-016 at  Approval of Continuation of existing rules, added March 12, 2011
- EC:2011-017 at  Approval of the Permanency of Editorships, added April 3, 2011
- EC:2011-020 at  Approval of the Confirmation of a Howard C. Berkowitz Editorship, added May 6, 2011
- EC:2011-021 at  Approval of the Cancellation of a Howard C. Berkowitz Editorship, added May 11, 2011
- EC:2011-022 at  Approval of the suspension of articles accepted by email, added May 11, 2011
- EC:2011-023 at  Approval of User page rules, added May 17, 2011
- EC:2011-024 at  Approval of the Cancellation of a Howard C. Berkowitz Editorship, added May 17, 2011
- EC:2011-025 at  Approval of the Cancellation of a Howard C. Berkowitz Editorship, added May 23, 2011
- EC:2011-027 at  Approval of the Cancellation of a Howard C. Berkowitz Editorship, added June 1, 2011
- EC:2011-011 at  Conclusion of the Review of Howard C. Berkowitz Editorships, added June 1, 2011
- EC:2011-028 at  Approval of Editorship appointments, added June 8, 2011
- EC:2011-031 at  Approval of Change of EC voting rules, added June 19, 2011
- EC:2011-032 at  Approval of Change of the Approval process, add July 17, 2011
- REC-2011-034 at  Thanking Milton Beychok, added July 21, 2011
- EC:2011-035 at  Approval of Special resources for Approval Managers, added July 28, 2011
- EC:2011-036 at  Naming an Approvals Manager, added July 30, 2011
- EC:2011-038 at  Naming an Editorial Personnel Administrator, added August 30, 2011
- EC:2011-018 at  Approval of proposal about substandard articles, added September 13, 2011
- EC:2012-001 at  Naming Peter Schmitt as Secretary of the Editorial Council, added January 5, 2012
Motions not passed by the Council, in chronological order
- EC-2010-003 at  Aborted attempt to set out voting procedure, added November 26, 2010.
- EC-2010-013 at  Aborted attempt to strip a member of his Editorships, added November 26, 2010.
- PR-2010-002 at  Unseconded proposal concerning "knowledge management", added November 25, 2010.
- PR-2010-005 at  Unseconded proposal concerning supposed priorities, added November 28, 2010
- PR-2010-004 at  Proposal concerning the CZ maintainability policy, discussion time expired, added December 1, 2010
- PR-2010-003 at  Proposal concerning the importation of articles from Wikipedia, discussion time expired, added December 2, 2010
- PR-2010-006 at  Proposal concerning the romanization of Chinese text, discussion time expired, added December 2, 2010
- PR-2010-009 at  Proposal concerning the Secretary deleting comments, not seconded, added December 5, 2010
- PR-2010-010 at  Proposal concerning an import Wiki, not seconded, added December 7, 2010
- DR-2010-002 at  Proposal concerning the Ombudsman's authority, rejected by 6-0, with 1 abstention, added December 11, 2010
- DR-2010-003 at  Proposal concerning the Editor/Author relationship, failed to achieve enough votes, 1-2, with 4 members not voting, added December 11, 2010
- PR-2010-020 at  Proposal to create a committee of Editors, failed to be seconded, added December 12, 2010
- PR-2010-019 at  Proposal to merge two Workgroups, rejected by 4-2, with 1 member not voting, added December 17, 2010
- PR-2010-022 at  Proposal about the limitation of expertise, not seconded, added January 6, 2011
- PR-2011-001 at  Proposal about media news sources, not seconded, added January 16, 2011
- EC:2011-005 at  Proposal about questionable articles, rejected by 3-1, with 3 members not voting, added January 30, 2011
- EC:2011-006 at  Proposal about labeling fringe articles, rejected by 6-0, with 1 member not voting, added February 7, 2011
- EC:2011-008 at  Proposal about Citizendium reviews, lack of a quorum, with 2 members not voting, added February 11, 2011, amended April 4, 2011
- EC:2011-012 at  Proposal about renaming an earlier motion, not seconded, added February 15, 2011
- EC:2011-015 at  Proposal about the role of Editors, lack of a quorum, with 4 members not voting, added March 7, 2011
- EC:2011-026 at  Proposal about a Specialty Editorship, lack of a quorum, with 4 members not voting, added May 25, 2011
- EC:2011-030 at  Proposal about Editorial Council membership, lack of a quorum, with 4 members not voting, added June 8, 2011
- EC:2011-029 at  Proposal about the Approval process, lack of a quorum, with 5 members not voting, added June 19, 2011
- EC:2011-039 at  Proposal about the Philip Marlowe article, not seconded, added September 5, 2011
- EC:2011-041 at  Proposal about "History" in titles, not seconded, added November 22, 2011
except where they contradicted the merger. The following links are to archived and out-of-date pages:
• Resolutions • Log • Essential Policy •