Mining of uranium and thorium/External Links
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Please sort and annotate in a user-friendly manner and consider archiving the URLs behind the links you provide. See also related web sources.
From the Mining of Uranium per the World Nuclear Association website:
- World Uranium Mining Production - "Nearly three-quarters of the world's production of uranium from mines is from Kazakhstan, Canada, Australia and Namibia. Another 11 countries contribute the rest."
- In situ leach mining of uranium - "In the last 60 years uranium has become one of the world's most important energy minerals. It is used almost entirely for making electricity, though a small proportion is used for the important task of producing medical isotopes"
- Uranium Mining Overview - "Most uranium mining in the USA and Kazakhstan is now by in situ leach methods. In the USA, ISL is seen as the most cost effective and environmentally acceptable method of mining, and Australian experience supports this."
- World Uranium Mining Production - "In most respects the environmental aspects of a uranium mine are the same as those of other metalliferous mining. Most uranium mines in Australia and Canada have ISO 14001 certification. The uranium itself has a very low level of radioactivity, comparable with granite."